Full Time – Permanent
Full time starting salary is normally in the range £30,942 to £40,322, with potential progression once in post to £42,792
Do you want to be part of a dynamic team at a prestigious organisation, helping us to create commercial impact? The University of Birmingham is one of the most ambitious institutions in the UK and we are determined to be placed in the global top 50, with investment and strategic plans in place to enable us to achieve our objectives.
University of Birmingham Enterprise supports academics who want to innovate, take their ideas to market, work with businesses and social enterprises, or enrich their professional lives by doing academic consultancy projects. We do this by providing enterprise training, funding, office and laboratory space, and a full technology transfer service. University of Birmingham Enterprise also supports regional entrepreneurs, start-ups and SMEs, through its management of the incubation services and facilities at the Birmingham Research Park.
This is an exciting time to join University of Birmingham Enterprise. We are currently fourth in the UK for the identification and protection of Intellectual Property, and have a growing portfolio of over 35 spinout companies, with a collective valuation of c. £240m. Our business incubation programmes have helped over 400 entrepreneurs and startups since we opened our BizzInn incubator in 2013, and we’re part of some key regional projects that seek to make the Midlands attractive to investors.
We are looking for a talented, well-organised individual, with proven experience in leading, managing, shaping and promoting events and workshops. Primarily, this new post will project manage and event manage our various entrepreneurial training seminars and workshops, for both our target academic and business communities. This includes our flagship Medici programme designed to support research staff at UK universities looking to commercialise the fruits of their research; our monthly Enterprise Skills Seminars which raise awareness, inspire and educate academics on a range of enterprise activities; plus a range of training workshops aimed companies looking to start-up and grow their science based businesses.
The post-holder will report directly to the Entrepreneurship and Incubation Manager, and will support them on shaping future programmes, as well as the day to day running of the BizzInn incubator. S/he will also support the administration of the wider Enterprise Acceleration Team.
Event project management of UoBE entrepreneurial development workshops.
The post-holder will be responsible for the project management and “on the day” management of UoBE’s full range of workshops, training programmes, and other events that UoBE may wish to organise or contribute to from time to time (e.g. away days, conferences and exhibitions). In particular UoBE runs initiatives such as Medici, Enterprise Skills Seminars and ERDF funded workshops.
There are currently a range of 40 workshops which we package together depending on the programme that we are delivering. Working closely with the Entrepreneurship and Incubation Manager on creating innovative new programmes, the post holder will have full responsibility for ensuring that all of UoBE’s initiatives are planned, project managed and delivered. The post holder will project manage the start-to-end process for delivering the event/workshops that have been created by the UoBE team (including this role).
The post holder will be UoBE’s expert on events project management and will provide advice, guidance, and support to other UoBE team members who are considering and/or planning new events, taking into account the ongoing UoBE calendar of events.
In addition, the post holder will be responsible for
- Creating a plan/task list for the delivery of programmes
- Managing the application, invitation and event registration process
- Managing budgets for the event which may include managing procurement processes (depending on the costs and activity involved)
- Booking and managing presenters
- Booking the venue and any required equipment
- Organising printed materials
- Arranging logistics on the day of the event including catering, timing, porters etc.
- Seeking and coordinating the contributions of other UoBE team members, as appropriate in certain circumstances, to successfully deliver events
- Collating customer feedback from the event to monitor the effectiveness of our support
- Marketing and promotion of UoBE entrepreneurial development programmes
The post holder will lead and be responsible for promoting UoBE initiatives (services as well as training opportunities and events) to the internal academic and external public audiences. This will be done in accordance with the internal communications aspirations and plans of UoBE as agreed from time to time.
- Raise awareness of commercial opportunities amongst the academic staff at UoB and awareness of any external programmes or initiatives which UoBE may be involved with. This will explain what the organisation does and attract new entrepreneurs to use our support (and help to achieve KPIs). They will do this through the development of networks, distribution of materials, liaising with stakeholders for cross promotion of initiatives, setting up Eventbrite pages and using social media channels.
- Work independently or with other team members to create new marketing materials (e.g. emails, flyers, case studies) to be used to promote training programmes to potential customers
- Manage and monitor the content to see how effective campaigns are and the sign-up rate to events
- Providing advice and guidance to other team members on how to promote events more effectively
- Contribute to new UoBE initiatives and support the management of the BizzInn incubator
- As the post holder will be in a great position to interact with delegates whilst managing events, they can play a key role in using the feedback to shape future programmes. UoBE needs to constantly create new programmes that cover emerging technologies and methodologies.
- The post holder will be expected to contribute ideas for new workshops based on feedback from previous participants.
- The post holder can also contribute suggestions on how to more effectively engage with the different audiences.
- The post holder will occasionally support the EIM in managing the BizzInn business incubator. This may include processing applications, answering incubator users’ questions, booking meeting rooms and liaising with our Entrepreneurs-in-residence.
The post holder will have a range of administrative responsibilities across the Enterprise Acceleration Team which may include:
- Providing updates and reports on planned and delivered events. This includes progress updates, sign-up rates, attendance and delegate feedback
- Managing the calendar of UoBE events and liaising with other UoBE team members to shape and schedule activities so that the interests of all functions within the department are represented. The post-holder will need to carefully consider and advise on the availability of capacity and relevance of any proposed new event.
- Creating documentation (e.g. project plans) to allow other members of the team to see the status of programmes
- Contribute to other reports that may need to be completed by the Enterprise Acceleration team to document UoBE achievement of KPIs. This may include for HEIF, ERDF or other funded programmes and is likely to be statistical based. The post holder will collate team information to help provide timely monthly and quarterly updates to wider audiences.
- Organising meetings, greeting visitors, filing and record keeping associated with commercialisation (spinout and incubation) projects, managing the signature process associated with investment deals, and in recording team meeting actions and updates.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications, Experience
- A proven track record in the marketing and management of training events / programmes, ideally within a Higher Education setting.
- Experience of developing effective networks and strong relationships. The post-holder will need to establish a variety of relationships with academics, Professional Services, subsections of schools/departments across the University and other partners.
- Ability to effectively engage within and across teams. The post-holder will need to engage, influence, and work with other members of University of Birmingham Enterprise/University teams. It is essential that the individual is able to persuade others to want to work alongside them as required from time to time on the delivery of certain events and initiatives.
- Strong facilitation and interpersonal skills. The post holder will be expected to interact with delegates at events, representing UoBE and providing support and encouragement to delegates throughout the programmes.
- Experience in event budget management and negotiation with service providers both internally and externally.
- Strong written and communication skills with the ability to develop clear written plans, prepare progress reports, and present plans verbally to a variety of audiences within a variety of University teams. S/he should have demonstrable experience in effectively summarising news and events in an accessible journalistic style, for occasional use as website/newsletter/press-release content. These will be done in accordance with UoBE’s communications plans and/or as advised by the Reputations and Communications Development Manager.
- Excellent organisational / project management skills, attention to detail, accuracy and the ability to schedule varied, and unpredictable, workloads to meet deadlines. Excellent time management and prioritisation skills are essential.
- A demonstrable commitment to the provision of high-quality customer service at all times, including the ability to review, develop and propose solutions for problems with staff, budgets, services and systems.
- A can-do attitude and solutions-driven approach. Somebody who is prepared to step up to the mark to work on broader UoBE activities where there is a good match with their skills/expertise (potentially outside the scope of their normal duties) from time to time.
- Good self-awareness. Somebody who is confident and comfortable enough to flag gaps in their skills and experience, in order to seek assistance and/or further development, as required.
- Must be educated to degree level or have similar experience
This post may require the post holder to occasionally work outside normal office hours. Also some travel (UK and abroad) may occur from time to time.
Informal enquires to Andrew Cruxton Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
We value diversity at The University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community’
Valuing excellence; sustaining investment