MICRA partner the University of Birmingham seeks an experienced administrator with an interested in project management and professional education.
The PGT Knowledge Exchange Pathway (KEP) offers an exciting opportunity that will develop and test a new model that will enable Postgraduate Taught (PGT) students from across a range of disciplines to deploy and enhance their employability-related research skills by undertaking a multidisciplinary research project in partnership with external partner organisations. The KEP will benefit the students’ learning and their transition to employment, as well as the local and regional organisations with whom they engage.
The KEP will work collaboratively with industry partners to shape questions, seek solutions to problems faced by those partners, and deploy academic research and knowledge in the most effective ways. Aligning to the University’s civic engagement pledge, the KEP will focus on regional partners and how we can seek solutions to industry priorities through knowledge exchange.
Line-managed by the PGT Knowledge Exchange Pathway Manager, you will be responsible for the day-to-day administration of the project.
The PGT Knowledge Exchange Pathway officially sits within the University Graduate School but is co-managed with Registry (Academic Services)
• To support the day-to-day activities, including liaising with academic supervisors, professional service staff, and project partners.
• Make a substantial contribution to the management, development and implementation of operational processes for the PGT Knowledge Exchange Pathway.
• To administer the PGT Knowledge Exchange Pathway, proactively request information from, and provide information to, postgraduate taught (PGT) students, academic supervisors, and external project partners.
• Develop a good level of understanding of the project context in order to answer enquiries from PGT students who are interested or participating in the PGT Knowledge Exchange Pathway.
• Compile, manipulate, analyse and interpret large and complex data sets, drawing up reports and/or identifying required actions as appropriate.
• Support evaluation of the PGT Knowledge Exchange Pathway.
• Responsible for the regular review and update of key documentation and project webpages.
• Arranging meetings and appointments including booking rooms, checking the availability of attendees, sending invitations and organising catering as needed.
• Provide secretarial support for the Project Board.
• To assist the Project Manager to maintain project information, including datasets and deliverables.
• To administer and maintain project information systems, taking into account good practice in record management and ensuring compliance with GDPR regulations.
• To attend meetings and undertake other duties as may be required in furtherance of the work of the PGT Knowledge Exchange Pathway.
• Support quality and values diversity, moderating own behaviour to avoid unfair discriminatory impact or bias on others.
• Manage all data in accordance with University policy and Data Protection Regulations.
• The post-holder will undertake other duties that may be assigned to them by the PGT Knowledge Exchange Project Manager.
• Education to A Level standard or equivalent qualification or work experience.
• Experience of working within an office environment.
• Ability to work proactively, independently and as part of a team.
• Good written and oral communication skills and the ability to adapt to a diverse range of client groups
• Good organisational skills with ability to prioritise own workload according to changing business needs and daily work constraints.
• Proficient IT skills and a confident user of the full range of Microsoft Office packages including Excel
• Experience of operating effectively and efficiently in a busy multifunctional environment, prioritising tasks and working to deadlines.
• Able to ensure accuracy, even when performing routine tasks and demonstrate attention to detail.
• Experience of working in higher education and familiarity with University procedures, policies, structures and systems.
• Experience of setting up, maintaining and reviewing complex working systems.
• Flexible to work occasional out of hours including weekends
The postholder will be responsible for the administration of the PGT Knowledge Exchange Project (funded by the Office for Students).
The postholder will be responsible for developing and implementing administrative processes for the PGT Knowledge Exchange Project. The post holder will be required to forward plan to manage a varied workload, with key project timescales communicated to the postholder by the PGT Knowledge Exchange Pathway Project Manager.
The focus of the role is on delivery of project administration and will involve making day-to-day decisions relating to administration. Under the direction of the PGT Knowledge Exchange Project Manager the postholder will be expected to devise and deliver administrative processes to support the successful delivery of the PGT Knowledge Exchange Pathway Project. You will be working within the framework of existing policies, processes and procedures for the University and the College, but there will be plenty of scope to review and shape processes.
The role is a key administrative role, so will have a range of internal and external stakeholders.
• Internal members of the Project Board
• Internal stakeholders such as DARO, Careers Network and University of Birmingham Enterprise Ltd
• External stakeholders such as external project partners
• Project supervisors
• Postgraduate Taught Students
• Other Professional Services colleagues
For informal enquiries about this role, please contact Dr Andrea Patel, Head of University Graduate School (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community